An empty drawer will fill up. C. Northcote Parkinson coined Parkinson’s Law: “Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.” Soon there was Parkinson’s Second Law: “Expenditure rises to meet income.” And finally, “Data expands to fill the space available.”
— Adapted from “You Should Know,” Jennifer Wang, Entrepreneur.
Think big. “Whenever I took a job, I had to have a higher motivation of some kind,” says Wayne Clough, secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. “To make money or even to ‘give back’ is not enough; it’s got to be something bigger.”
— Adapted from “The great responsibility,” with KK Ottesen, The Washington Post Magazine.
Renovate yourself. For 15 years, Home Depot stocked shelves by lugging around computers powered with motorboat batteries. CFO Carol Tomé hopes to modernize through a new app that will make the process more efficient. If she succeeds, she may land a turn as CEO.
— Adapted from “Home Depot’s Fix-It Lady,” Chris Burritt, Bloomberg Businessweek.
- Granting reasonable accommodation isn't enough--you must make sure it actually happens
- Act fast to stop racial comments (but don't fear lawsuit if they're isolated)
- Problem Solved: Real People … Real Leadership Solutions, June '09
- Try these 10 creative alternatives to handing out pink slips
- CHR crude, lewd—But not discriminatory