Would your boss say that you have a firm understanding of “big picture” strategy? Having a grip on your firm’s strategy will help you focus your energy on the right things and make the right decisions.
Test your knowledge of the big picture. Ask yourself these five questions, then ask your boss the same questions. Do your answers line up?
- Who are the customers or customer segments we serve, listed in priority order?
- What are the services we provide now and which ones, if any, need to change as we implement the current strategy?
- What is our value proposition and how does it set us apart in the marketplace?
- Which environmental trends and issues (such as market, economic, societal, political or environmental) are important to our strategy?
- What are three things our division is doing to support the strategy?
— Adapted from The Executive Guide to High-Impact Talent, Steve Trautman.
- Odd ADA strategy means a jury will decide Xentel case
- Coke's diversity reforms: Judge rules it's the real thing
- Manager's Checkup: Do you ask employees the right questions?
- Appeals court expands free speech protection for employees of government agencies
- Study: Female directors not paid equally at western Pa. nonprofits