• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

How should we treat payroll for a newlywed who hasn’t officially changed her name?

by on
in Small Business Tax Deduction Strategies

Q. One of our employees recently got married. She’s informally going by her new last name, but she hasn’t changed her name on her Social Security card and doesn’t plan to. We submit all payroll information using her maiden name. Do we face any liability?

A. Use the name associated with the employee’s Social Security number. Since she has elected not to change her name with the Social Security Administration, you should continue to use her maiden name in processing her pay.

Leave a Comment