Q. What payroll records must my company keep under North Carolina law?
A. Employer payroll records should include the following information for each employee for each workweek:
- Full name
- Home address and phone number
- Date of birth if under the age of 20
- Occupation or job title
- Time of day and day of the week that the employee’s workweek begins
- Regular rate of pay
- Hours worked each day
- Total hours worked each week
- Total straight time and overtime earnings each workweek
- Total additions to or deductions from wages each pay period
- Total gross wages paid each pay period
- Date of each payment.
You must retain required payroll records for at least three years. Most third-party payroll companies maintain this information for their employer clients.