Q. We’d like to get away from paper payroll checks. May an employer require employees to receive wage payments by direct deposit only?
A. Yes, the North Carolina Wage and Hour Act allows the employer to select any legal form of payment, including direct deposit into an institution whose deposits are insured by the government of the United States. The statute is 13 NCAC 12.0309.
- Bolster retirement savings with little-noticed credit
- Cut down tax on Social Security benefits
- If we supplement unemployment comp benefits, must we pay FICA/FUTA on it?
- Questions and answers about H1N1 flu and wage-and-hour laws
- How do the new Illinois Equal Pay Act rules affect my record-keeping obligations?