Q: An employee has taken a second job with our company on a part-time basis. Would our reimbursement of his travel expenses from his first job to our workplace be a tax-free reimbursement, or a taxable commuting expense?
A: Under tax code Section 162, taxpayers can deduct their travel expenses to a second job on their 1040s, so you may consider those expenses working-conditionand reimburse him tax-free.
Caveat No. 1: The employee must substantiate his travel expenses under the accountable plan rules.
Caveat No. 2: The employee must go directly from his first job to his second job with you; any detour invalidates the tax-free reimbursement.
- How to Write Meeting Minutes
- Small Business Tax Deduction Strategies
- Spring forward March 9, calculate pay accordingly
- Special analysis: FOIA request as a post-audit strategy
- 9 ways to manage through change: Helping employees handle the stress of tough times
- IRS clarifies fine points of VCSP classification initiative