Q. Are there any questions we cannot or should not ask a reference when screening applicants?
A. As a general rule, you should limit your questions to subjects that are related to the applicant’s suitability for the position for which he or she is applying. Of course, you also should avoid questions that may elicit information about the applicant’s medical condition, religious beliefs, race, etc.
- Immigration Steps Up High-Profile Workplace Raids
- When applicant has more experience, be prepared to justify hiring someone else
- Starting to hire again? Heed new-hire reporting rules
- Check policies for impact on older applicants and employees
- NLRB issues guidelines for investigating union 'Salting' claims