Q. Are there any questions we cannot or should not ask a reference when screening applicants?
A. As a general rule, you should limit your questions to subjects that are related to the applicant’s suitability for the position for which he or she is applying. Of course, you also should avoid questions that may elicit information about the applicant’s medical condition, religious beliefs, race, etc.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Congress and more states seek to block employer access to employees' Facebook/Twitter passwords
- Job descriptions: Make 'em lawsuit-proof
- Audit demographics to spot problems before anyone sues
- Bias against unemployed now illegal in New Jersey