Last month's blackout in the Northeast proved that company emergency-response plans must prepare for all types of disasters. Here are some online sources to help you review your plan: the Society for Human Resourceoffers a toolkit of resources at www.shrm.org/hrtools/toolkits/emergencyresponse.asp; the U.S. government offers a free online booklet, Emergency Management Guide for Business & Industry, at www.fema.gov/library/bizindex. shtm; and OSHA's site offers a good emergency-preparedness section at www.osha-slc.gov/SLTC/emergencypreparedness.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Can a former employee demand access to her personnel file?
- Labor alert! The NLRA can apply to nonunion employers, too
- Retain low-wage employees without busting your budget
- ICE cracks down on employers that hire illegals