Q. Is it legal to require that employees on
A. It's not just legally OK, it's smart. No employee should receive open-ended leave. If a medical certification form doesn't include an estimated leave length or if the leave extends beyond the estimated time, you should ask for a new certification from the employee's physician. Also, if you believe the leave is unwarranted, you can require an examination by a physician of your choice.
Note: You can request recertification every 30 days. But if the employee requests an FMLA leave extension during the first 30 days of leave, you can request recertification immediately.
- 17 Questions to Determine if Workers are Fully Engaged
- Employee returning from FMLA leave? Insist on ability to perform essential functions
- Texas health care firms sued for health-related firings
- What are some strategies to stop employees from abusing intermittent FMLA leave?
- Be sure managers know they can't discipline employees for using FMLA