Q. Is it legal to require that employees on
A. It's not just legally OK, it's smart. No employee should receive open-ended leave. If a medical certification form doesn't include an estimated leave length or if the leave extends beyond the estimated time, you should ask for a new certification from the employee's physician. Also, if you believe the leave is unwarranted, you can require an examination by a physician of your choice.
Note: You can request recertification every 30 days. But if the employee requests an FMLA leave extension during the first 30 days of leave, you can request recertification immediately.
- First things first on FMLA: Challenge eligibility before approving leave
- Here's a no-brainer: No charts predicting when female workers will get pregnant
- Deployed employees keep benefits at Michigan military contractor
- You can force an eligible employee to take FMLA leave
- Condition worthy of FMLA leave might not be ADA disability