Q. Is it legal to require that employees on
A. It's not just legally OK, it's smart. No employee should receive open-ended leave. If a medical certification form doesn't include an estimated leave length or if the leave extends beyond the estimated time, you should ask for a new certification from the employee's physician. Also, if you believe the leave is unwarranted, you can require an examination by a physician of your choice.
Note: You can request recertification every 30 days. But if the employee requests an FMLA leave extension during the first 30 days of leave, you can request recertification immediately.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Made an FMLA mistake? Avoid liability by offering reinstatement, no strings attached
- You can't directly call doctor for FMLA information
- Jury duty: How to manage leave requests and pay issues
- New president, new Congress: 5 new employment laws could reshape HR