1. Of these three discrimination categories, which generated the most employee complaints to the EEOC in 2010?
b. Equal Pay Act
c. National origin
2. The National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) ruled last month that it’s lawful for a union group to do what outside of a targeted company?
a. Hand out pamphlets to employees leaving the building
b. Use a megaphone to protest company execs
c. Display a 16-foot-tall inflatable rat
3. When employees are terminated, federal law says they must be given their final paycheck within:
a. 48 hours of the termination
b. 7 days of the termination
c. Federal law is silent on the issue but some states set such laws
4. The Supreme Court recently ruled that employers have the right to include what in their arbitration agreements with employees?
a. Language that extends the arbitration to three years after termination
b. Waivers that require arbitration of class-action claims
c. Waivers that require arbitration of lawsuits by family members
5. How many states prohibit employment discrimination based on a person’s sexual orientation?
6. President Obama signed a bill that repeals a controversial provision in his health care plan that would have expanded employers’ reporting duties for:
a. I-9 forms
b. 1099 forms
c. W-2 forms
Sources: 1. EEOC; 2. NLRB; 3. U.S. Department of Labor; 4. The HR Specialist; 5. Human Rights Campaign; 6. The HR Specialist.
Answers: 1. c 2. c 3. c 4. b 5. a 6. b
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Unless required, consider dropping drug tests
- How to conduct a 30-minute employee handbook audit
- Disabled worker? It may pay to offer commuting accommodations
- Lessons from the 2006 SHRM conference: Metrics: Track each employee's 'Baseball card' statistics