• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Make the most of home sale exclusion

by on
in Small Business Tax

Q. My husband passed away three years ago. Can I make my 21-year-old son a co-owner to double the home sale exclusion? Anonymous, New Rochelle, N.Y.

A. Technically, this will work, although it will take some time. As long as both co-owners meet the “use” and “ownership” requirements, both you and your child can claim a home sale exclusion for the first $250,000 of gain. But you will have to wait at least two years from transferring the 50% interest to your son to sell the home and he must use the home as his principal residence for at least two years before the sale occurs.

Tip: This strategy may affect other financial and tax aspects, including mortgage interest and property taxes.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/13485/make-the-most-of-home-sale-exclusion "

Related Articles...

    No matches

Leave a Comment