More employers are offering to let workers collect their pay on reloadable, prepaid bank cards. The cards allow workers to make purchases anywhere they can use credit or debit cards, plus get cash at ATMs. Many card services provide checking accounts that employees can use to facilitate online bill paying.
But know your state law: Most states prohibit employers from mandating that workers receive pay electronically. Similarly, only a few states let employers mandate direct deposit. To learn the law in states where you operate, go to www.theHRSpecialist.com/epaylaws.
- Restaurant in Wayne accused of labor and wage violations
- Free handout: The 9 discrimination flashpoints your managers must avoid
- Supreme Court rules FLSA class-action properly dismissed as moot
- Online HR master's degree: Is it worth it? Which school is best?
- Can we give paid time off as a bonus to some?