More employers are offering to let workers collect their pay on reloadable, prepaid bank cards. The cards allow workers to make purchases anywhere they can use credit or debit cards, plus get cash at ATMs. Many card services provide checking accounts that employees can use to facilitate online bill paying.
But know your state law: Most states prohibit employers from mandating that workers receive pay electronically. Similarly, only a few states let employers mandate direct deposit. To learn the law in states where you operate, go to www.theHRSpecialist.com/epaylaws.
- Big ruling: Supreme Court limits scope of pay-discrimination lawsuits
- Pennsylvania Human Relations Act
- Make sure employees understand policy and process for reporting sexual harassment
- Stop 'cybersquatters' who try to hijack your Web address
- Read EEOC complaint carefully: Employees can't later expand lawsuit