More employers are offering to let workers collect their pay on reloadable, prepaid bank cards. The cards allow workers to make purchases anywhere they can use credit or debit cards, plus get cash at ATMs. Many card services provide checking accounts that employees can use to facilitate online bill paying.
But know your state law: Most states prohibit employers from mandating that workers receive pay electronically. Similarly, only a few states let employers mandate direct deposit. To learn the law in states where you operate, go to www.theHRSpecialist.com/epaylaws.
- State police officer wins $340,000 judgment in retaliation lawsuit
- NJLAD gives employees two years from discharge to sue for discrimination
- Lawsuits on the rise: Audit your policies to prevent litigation
- Can we terminate employee who has used all FMLA leave but still needs time off?
- Can we push employees to donate to charity?