More employers are offering to let workers collect their pay on reloadable, prepaid bank cards. The cards allow workers to make purchases anywhere they can use credit or debit cards, plus get cash at ATMs. Many card services provide checking accounts that employees can use to facilitate online bill paying.
But know your state law: Most states prohibit employers from mandating that workers receive pay electronically. Similarly, only a few states let employers mandate direct deposit. To learn the law in states where you operate, go to www.theHRSpecialist.com/epaylaws.
- Warn bosses: E-mail is smoking-gun evidence
- No way to accommodate? Then you don't have to
- 4th Circuit: You don't have to hire applicant who sued former employer for FLSA violations
- When crafting arbitration agreements, consider effect of PAGA on class actions
- Without a noncompete agreement, can we stop a former employee from undercutting us?