More employers are offering to let workers collect their pay on reloadable, prepaid bank cards. The cards allow workers to make purchases anywhere they can use credit or debit cards, plus get cash at ATMs. Many card services provide checking accounts that employees can use to facilitate online bill paying.
But know your state law: Most states prohibit employers from mandating that workers receive pay electronically. Similarly, only a few states let employers mandate direct deposit. To learn the law in states where you operate, go to www.theHRSpecialist.com/epaylaws.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- What should we do? If employee took all her comp time, she couldn't do her job
- Vague comments and complaints aren't protected
- If an employee wants to earn less, not more, what could possibly be the legal risk?
- Job descriptions: Craft with precision to avoid bias risk