1. What new initiative did the Obama administration announce in January to crack down on employers’ use of undocumented workers?
a. A redesign of the Form I-9 to clarify employer responsibilities and liability risks
b. A new national Employment Compliance Inspection Center to check I-9s
c. A limit on the number of acceptable documents for completing the I-9
2. Number of states that increased their unemployment insurance (UI) rate for employers in 2010:
a. 18 b. 34 c. 45
3. The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) says that when reservists return from active-duty tours of less than __ year(s), you must re-employ them to their old jobs or an equal job.
a. 1 b. 3 c. 5
4. When asked to rate the performance of their immediate supervisor and the company’s CEO, what percentage say each is doing a “good” job?
a. 74% for CEO, 58% for supervisor
b. 72% for supervisor, 62% for CEO
c. 52% for CEO, 44% for supervisor
5. Which industry experienced the highest rate of job cuts last year?
6. What do 72% of American workers do on days that they are sick:
a. Stay in bed
b. Go shopping
c. Go to work
Sources: 1. Department of Homeland Security; 2. SHRM; 3. DOL.gov; 4. APCO Worldwide survey; 5. Challenger, Gray & Christmas report; 6. CareerBuilder.com survey.
Answers: 1. b 2. c 3. c 4. b 5. a 6. c
- Was that insubordination, or an accommodations request?
- When high-level harassment erupts, act fast to prevent even worse legal trouble
- Employee probation periods: a lawsuit waiting to happen
- New N.Y. 'wage theft' law imposes stiff penalties on employers
- A sign of change: New NLRB majority says pro-union 'bannering' against employers is legal