Make sure you keep your insurance payments up to date. If you let your policy lapse and an employee files a claim, you open up yourself to a negligence lawsuit.
The case: After injuring his back on the job, a warehouse worker found out that the firm's workers' comp policy had lapsed.said all employees would be provided workers' comp insurance. He sued for negligence, breach of contract and a violation of state insurance code. A federal appeals court let the case go to trial. (Adams v. Reynolds Tile and Flooring Inc., No. 14-03-00263-CV, Texas Ct App, 2003)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Supremes at work: 8 key employment law cases on docket
- Retain e-mails after receiving EEOC complaint
- Key Supreme Court case could affect controversial union shop fees
- Don't drop your guard just because Illinois court dismisses whistle-blower case