Two employees of Virginia-based coal supplier Alpha Natural Resources won $15,000 each for participating in an employer-sponsored wellness screening.
The organization began offering health screenings in 2006. Last year, it began offering prize money to encourage employees to participate. Everyone who volunteered for the screening was eligible to win.
The incentive prompted more than 3,300 employees and nearly 400 spouses to participate. Participation in the program has grown steadily each year.
An independent health care firm conducts the wellness screenings, and provides confidential test results only to individual participants.
President Kurt Kost said the cost of the prize is more than offset when screenings detect problems in time to prevent medical conditions from seriously affecting an employee’s health. That cuts down on treatment costs and.
Contact: Kurt Kost, (276) 739-5304.
- Employee returning from FMLA? Alter pay only in rare situations
- How not to handle FMLA leave: Do what Chicago did to a seriously ill employee
- Tell Supervisors to Make FMLA a 'Work-Free Zone'
- How to handle habitually late workers
- You can terminate after FMLA leave--if you made the decision before leave was requested