If you provide either cell phones or vehicles to your employees, lay down the law: No sending or reading text messages if you’re driving as part of your job. It’s illegal in 30 states.
Reinforce safety by placing a policy in your employee handbook. When you hand out cell phones or company cars, make employees acknowledge they understand the rules by having them sign a copy of your no-texting policy.
On the horizon: Federal regulators have just proposed making it illegal for commercial truck and bus drivers to reach for, hold or dial a cell phone while operating their vehicles. The rule could be in place by the end of the year.
Online resource: Find a list of state cell phone and texting laws for drivers at www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo.
- Heaven-sent policy advice for supervisors: No proselytizing or urging workers to convert
- New Florida FMLA status: Pet abuse victim?
- Does the WARN Act require notifying workers if we sell part of our business?
- It's important to track discipline by type and degree
- Block firing-Bias charge by documenting business reason