If you provide either cell phones or vehicles to your employees, lay down the law: No sending or reading text messages if you’re driving as part of your job. It’s illegal in 30 states.
Reinforce safety by placing a policy in your. When you hand out cell phones or company cars, make employees acknowledge they understand the rules by having them sign a copy of your no-texting policy.
On the horizon: Federal regulators have just proposed making it illegal for commercial truck and bus drivers to reach for, hold or dial a cell phone while operating their vehicles. The rule could be in place by the end of the year.
Online resource: Find a list of state cell phone and texting laws for drivers at www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo.
- What managers need to know about pregnant employees
- Make sure you can track when downsizing decision was made
- Be prepared to show you used due diligence to prevent on-the-job subcontractor injuries
- What are the details on the IRS' new 'classification amnesty' program?
- Watch out for retaliation—even if employee never made formal discrimination complaint