As of Dec. 13, employees with unresolved or Fair Labor Standards Act ( ) complaints with the DOL are being told of another option: a toll-free phone number that can link them to an ABA-approved lawyer in their area who could handle their lawsuit. The Wall Street Journal says the partnership essentially “helps plaintiffs' attorneys hunt for clients … let the suing commence.”
It could be a financial boon for plaintiffs’ attorneys. The big money is in FLSA cases. Employees filed more than 6,000 FLSA lawsuits last year, up from 1,500 in the early 1990s. Many employers who are sued opt to settle. With a median settlement ...(register to read more)
- Higher rates approved for state employee health plans
- Be sure to document the effective date of all new disciplinary policies
- Weigh 'reasonableness' when considering ADA time off after employee has taken FMLA leave
- Let other leave fill gap until FMLA eligibility
- Must we pursue reasonable accommodation if employee could never return to work?