As of Dec. 13, employees with unresolved or Fair Labor Standards Act ( ) complaints with the DOL are being told of another option: a toll-free phone number that can link them to an ABA-approved lawyer in their area who could handle their lawsuit. The Wall Street Journal says the partnership essentially “helps plaintiffs' attorneys hunt for clients … let the suing commence.”
It could be a financial boon for plaintiffs’ attorneys. The big money is in FLSA cases. Employees filed more than 6,000 FLSA lawsuits last year, up from 1,500 in the early 1990s. Many employers who are sued opt to settle. With a median settlement ...(register to read more)
- Burden now on employees to show age bias caused adverse action
- New military spouse leave law raises many questions
- Can a former employee demand that we pay her for unused vacation and sick leave?
- Ensure arbitration agreement in application isn't one-sided
- Listen to employee's side of the story before contesting unemployment benefits