Issue: Many organizations don't reap the full financial benefits from their employee-assistance programs (EAPs) because employees underuse them.
Benefits: When fully used, EAPs boost productivity, cutand lower medical costs.
Action: Use these tips to encourage employees to use your EAP.
Is your organization getting the best bang for its buck from your(EAP)? If employees aren't using it, the answer is probably "No."
EAPs can yield $1.50 to $16 in savings for each dollar invested, with average savings of $3 to $5, according to various studies. Organizations with the highest rates of employee EAP usage save the most money by reducing absenteeism and easing problems that would normally hurt productivity.
Here's how to boost EAP usage:
- Ask your EAP provider to offer on-site wellness seminars. Example: free lunch-time "brown bag" sessions on stress or time management.
- Hold EAP orientation sessions and distribute brochures and newsletters. Remind employees to use EAPs for work and personal problems. (EAPs keep personal information strictly confidential.)
- Promote new EAP programs through e-mail and the organization's Web site. Check with your EAP provider about linking with its Web site. Encourage employees to bookmark the EAP site on their computers. Ask the EAP provider for free posters, wallet cards and refrigerator magnets that advertise EAP hours and phone numbers.
- Provide on-site counselors. Most or-ganizations don't have them, but those that do raise participation rates by up to 60 percent.
- Provide a toll-free number that employees can call 24 hours a day, seven days a week for help.
Don't have an EAP? Society for Human Resource Management members can access a free report on how to establish one (plus weigh the pros/cons) at www.shrm.org/hrresources/whitepapers_published/CMS_004450.asp.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/1296/squeeze-the-most-value-from-your-eap "