How can I establish my authority if I’m not given sufficient information to manage these people? Answer: It’s difficult (and foolhardy) to separate pay from performance. Apparently your boss doesn’t realize this, so you must convince him. Presumably you’ve already explained this point to him to no avail.
Try researching salary administration issues on your own and then flood your boss with suggestions on how to get the most bang for his buck in hiring and retaining the best people. Your goal is to prove that you’ll make his job easier by taking over “the money side of things.”
No matter what position you hold in your company, nearly every decision you make can be put in financial terms. And with companies stretching every dollar during this recession, it's more important than ever for you to understand how your business's finances affect your job.Assessing the Bottom Line
Mastering Business Finance — Everything you need to know ... in plain English
Gauge your organization's financial situation yourself. Here are the questions you'll need to answer and the steps you'll need to take:
Part 1. Key financial drivers
- "What makes us money?"
- "What costs us money?"
- "What's our long-term vision?"
- "What are our key strategies?"
- "How are we performing?"
- Review the financial reports.
- Assess anything unclear about the organization's financial performance.
- Spend time with your financial people to talk about specific drivers and indicators.
Part 2. KNOWing the business
- "What functions directly affect our fiscal performance?"
- "What's the primary role of each functional area?"
- "How do functional strategies affect our overall performance?"
- Assess your working knowledge of each functional area.
- Identify the appropriate subject-matter expert.
- Schedule an informational interview with each expert.
Mastering Business Finance explains everything you need to know about business finance in easy-to-understand language.
Complete with charts and examples to increase your comprehension, this guide isn't just a how-to, it's also a why-to. You'll learn how to:
Get Mastering Business Finance now!
- Analyze financial statements
- Manage fixed assets, inventory and receivables
- Forecast your business’s cash flow for a whole year
- Choose between a variable and fixed budget
- Troubleshoot with ratio analysis
- Reap extra profit from your budget
- Identify and distribute hidden costs
- Coordinate your business plan and budget
- Use zero-based budgeting effectively
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/12909/career-counseling-get-involved-in-the-money-side-of-things "