by John Schaefer
If a star employee has ever surprised you during an exit interview by saying she had been dissatisfied with her job for a long time, you’re not alone. It’s quite common to find a vast divergence between employee satisfaction and’s take on the situation.
It’s also expensive.
Managers frequently make five big mistakes that can send your valued employees packing. Luckily, they’re easy to fix.
Mistake 1: Not being credible
All executives claim to value their people. Are employees really getting the message?
Recognition programs, incentives, bonuses and “atta-boys” are common in most companies. Too bad employees often perceive them not as real incentives, but as manipulation.
Why? There’s a fine line between the perception of true appreciation and feeling that managers are just “throwing them a bone.”
With staffing down, workloads up and everyone busier than ever, it’s easy for employees to feel their ...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Where there's smoke ... can you fire (or refuse to hire)?
- Don't let employees bully you into dictating their employment terms
- The great 8: Smart tips from the 'best places to work'
- Putting a young child on the payroll