Q. We runand short-term disability (STD) concurrently. FMLA is for 12 weeks of job-protected leave. STD is for 26 weeks, with proper medical documentation. At what point can we terminate an employee?
A. An employee’s job is protected for at least the 12 weeks of. If the employee has a disability under the ADA or state or local law, then additional job-protected leave might be required as a reasonable accommodation, depending on the employee’s individual circumstances.
As for whether the short-term disability payments end at termination, it depends on the terms of your short-term disability policy and whether it permits payments to continue after termination.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- What are the privacy rules when searching an employee? We suspect theft
- New military spouse leave law raises many questions
- Bill would target nurses who dodge drug diversion
- How should we handle layoffs without risking discrimination claims?