Since January 2009, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials have audited more than 3,200 employers suspected of hiring undocumented workers, which ICE says is more than the total amount of audits during the entire Bush administration. ICE has levied more than $50 million in fines against employers since 2009.
For more on the increased enforcement and last year’s Form I-9 revision, go to www.theHRSpecialist.com/ice.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- To pay or not to pay: Interns aren't just a source of free labor
- Certain you had a good reason for firing? Don't agonize over decision--or fear a bias suit
- Remind hiring managers: What you wear during interview may invite discrimination lawsuit
- Interviewing internal candidates: Ask, don't assume