Q. We’re looking to hire a few new workers. What is the least amount we need to pay them?
A. Effective July 1, the Illinois minimum wage increased to $8.25 per hour for adult workers, $1 per hour more than the federal minimum wage.
New employees and those under the age of 18 may be paid up to 50 cents less per hour. Accordingly, employers may pay $7.75 per hour to new employees (for the first 90 days of their employment) and employees under the age of 18.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- When high-level harassment erupts, act fast to prevent even worse legal trouble
- Sabbatical allows charity row from Miami to New York
- Tech firm woos young hires with perks like ping-pong
- No workers' compensation when employee wouldn't have been working anyway