Q. One of our employees is on leave after giving birth. She may qualify for a position that recently opened up. Do we have an obligation to notify her of that opening? —R.D., Ohio
A. No federal employment law requires you to notify an employee on leave of a job opening. Just make sure you're consistent. If you notify some on-leave employees about job openings but not others, you're asking for trouble. For example, if you notify employees who are on disability leave but not those on , you'd likely violate the .
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- When disciplining employees, pick one reason and stick with it
- USERRA: Know your duty to returning disabled soldiers
- Employee behaving strangely? Think twice before urging her to seek counseling
- Beware liability if no-hire decision was based on politics