After the 9/11 attacks, claims of workplace discrimination by Muslims spiked in 2002 with 1,463 claims of bias to the EEOC. Such claims subsided to 697 by 2004. But the past two years have seen a resurgence in claims: 1,304 in 2008 and 1,490 claims last year. Figures from 2010 are not yet available.
Note: A 2010 Pew Research Center poll shows that only 30% of Americans carry a favorable view of Islam, compared with 41% in 2005.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- You must try to prevent co-worker harassment--but you're not expected to be clairvoyant
- Cincinnati's Kroger chain to pay $485,000 for sexual harassment
- How to terminate employees who have been out on workers' comp
- Harassing dentist strikes nerve among employees