After the 9/11 attacks, claims of workplace discrimination by Muslims spiked in 2002 with 1,463 claims of bias to the EEOC. Such claims subsided to 697 by 2004. But the past two years have seen a resurgence in claims: 1,304 in 2008 and 1,490 claims last year. Figures from 2010 are not yet available.
Note: A 2010 Pew Research Center poll shows that only 30% of Americans carry a favorable view of Islam, compared with 41% in 2005.
- Should we change our policy to require that all harassment complaints be made in writing?
- Making Transfers: Prepare to Prove New Job Isn't a Dead-End
- Court refuses to expand Title VII liability to bosses
- Good news for less-Than-Perfect workplaces: No need to sweat the small stuff
- Know when to worry about discrimination--and when court will rule 'no harm, no foul'