How many times have you used an employee’s performance review to find out how your performance is?
Dan Rosensweig, CEO of Chegg, a company that rents textbooks online and by mail, starts the conversation like this:
“If you had my job, other than giving yourself more vacation and a raise, what’s the first thing that you would do that you don’t think we’re doing yet?”
He continues by asking questions such as, What do you need more of from me? What do you need less of from me? What is it that I’m doing that you would like me to stop doing completely? And what is it that I’m not doing enough of that you’d like some more of?
—Adapted from "Remember to Thank Your Star Players," Adam Bryant, The New York Times.
- Before firing, make sure you treated others just the same
- Put a stop to harassment ASAP--fast action now prevents liability even years later
- Leading teams: Power comes in many varieties
- Focus on employee retention now; don't wait for economic rebirth
- DOL plan = more HR paperwork ... Find out what's required