Illinois last month passed a law that prohibits employers (in most cases) from using a person’s personal credit history to fire, refuse to hire or otherwise discriminate against the person.
Massachusetts recently became the second state (after Hawaii) to ban employers from requesting criminal record info on an initial job application.
Several other states are considering similar bills.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Handle employee background checks correctly to lessen liability
- HR Groups Rally Around Legislation to Create New Electronic Verification System
- What are the pitfalls of conducting background investigations on job applicants?
- Pre-Employment tests: Do yours meet the new EEOC guidelines?