Illinois last month passed a law that prohibits employers (in most cases) from using a person’s personal credit history to fire, refuse to hire or otherwise discriminate against the person.
Massachusetts recently became the second state (after Hawaii) to ban employers from requesting criminal record info on an initial job application.
Several other states are considering similar bills.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- USCIS reaches H-1B visa cap in less than a week
- HR Groups Rally Around Legislation to Create New Electronic Verification System
- How far back can we go when conducting background checks on employees?
- Background checks: Close holes in your employee screens