Illinois last month passed a law that prohibits employers (in most cases) from using a person’s personal credit history to fire, refuse to hire or otherwise discriminate against the person.
Massachusetts recently became the second state (after Hawaii) to ban employers from requesting criminal record info on an initial job application.
Several other states are considering similar bills.
- Insist on thorough documentation of background check results
- Hot streak over? EEOC loses bid to limit credit histories in hiring
- Background Check Guidelines: How to comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act and avoid lawsuits
- Explore new generation of Internet-based payroll services
- Marion veterans hospital to pay for hiring lethal doctor