Illinois last month passed a law that prohibits employers (in most cases) from using a person’s personal credit history to fire, refuse to hire or otherwise discriminate against the person.
Massachusetts recently became the second state (after Hawaii) to ban employers from requesting criminal record info on an initial job application.
Several other states are considering similar bills.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Strike 3 for bill banning applicant credit checks?
- How much background check info can we divulge?
- Hire education: Filling job positions without inviting lawsuits
- Can we ask applicants about criminal convictions? What can we do with that information?