Illinois last month passed a law that prohibits employers (in most cases) from using a person’s personal credit history to fire, refuse to hire or otherwise discriminate against the person.
Massachusetts recently became the second state (after Hawaii) to ban employers from requesting criminal record info on an initial job application.
Several other states are considering similar bills.
- EEOC, N.J. man say Accenture's background checks are biased
- Background checks, employee investigations and the FCRA
- Minnesota 'bans the box,' limiting background checks
- Background check isn't enough; tight supervision keeps liability at bay
- To google or not: Legitimate screening method or privacy breach?