Q. I am a small employer with a group medical plan. If an employee takes an approved unpaid leave of absence, am I required to continue my premium subsidy during the unpaid leave? We have 22 employees and aren’t required to comply with. — W.F., Arizona
A. If you are not covered by the FMLA, no federal law would require you to continue premium subsidies during an employee’s leave. However, you should also check the applicable state law on this issue.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Warn bosses: Do nothing that discourages FMLA leave or punishes those who take it
- FMLA or ADA request? Don't let that derail legitimate discipline or termination decisions
- Tell managers: No comments on family planning
- Can we reclassify past leave as FMLA?