Q. I am a small employer with a group medical plan. If an employee takes an approved unpaid leave of absence, am I required to continue my premium subsidy during the unpaid leave? We have 22 employees and aren’t required to comply with. — W.F., Arizona
A. If you are not covered by the FMLA, no federal law would require you to continue premium subsidies during an employee’s leave. However, you should also check the applicable state law on this issue.
- Tell managers: Keep unsolicited dietary advice to yourself
- How far do we have to go to provide work when an employee returns from FMLA leave?
- Offering extra leave beyond FMLA? You don't have to extend job return rights
- Think carefully about how work restrictions will play out following FMLA leave
- The Dirty Dozen: Manager mistakes that spark lawsuits