Q. I am a small employer with a group medical plan. If an employee takes an approved unpaid leave of absence, am I required to continue my premium subsidy during the unpaid leave? We have 22 employees and aren’t required to comply with. — W.F., Arizona
A. If you are not covered by the FMLA, no federal law would require you to continue premium subsidies during an employee’s leave. However, you should also check the applicable state law on this issue.
- Can we require employees to use accrued paid leave instead of FMLA leave?
- Wasted at work? You don't have to tolerate it!
- Accept FMLA proof from foreign doctors
- Patience--and focus on job performance--are key when dealing with difficult employee
- Employee wants FMLA leave: Can we contact her health care provider?