Q. I am a small employer with a group medical plan. If an employee takes an approved unpaid leave of absence, am I required to continue my premium subsidy during the unpaid leave? We have 22 employees and aren’t required to comply with. — W.F., Arizona
A. If you are not covered by the FMLA, no federal law would require you to continue premium subsidies during an employee’s leave. However, you should also check the applicable state law on this issue.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Any requirement to pay out or roll over unused sick leave?
- Consistently applied blanket-Leave limits don't violate FMLA
- Time Off to Vote: State-by-State Voting Leave Laws Explained
- Firing worker during FMLA leave: possibly legal, but usually unwise