Q. I am a small employer with a group medical plan. If an employee takes an approved unpaid leave of absence, am I required to continue my premium subsidy during the unpaid leave? We have 22 employees and aren’t required to comply with. — W.F., Arizona
A. If you are not covered by the FMLA, no federal law would require you to continue premium subsidies during an employee’s leave. However, you should also check the applicable state law on this issue.
- Employee out on FMLA leave? You can still insist on calling in
- You may need to offer flex schedule as ADA accommodation
- FMLA leave doesn't mean you can't discipline
- Here's a no-brainer: No charts predicting when female workers will get pregnant
- Battle of the benefits: PTO bank may calm parent vs. nonparent tension