Q. I am a small employer with a group medical plan. If an employee takes an approved unpaid leave of absence, am I required to continue my premium subsidy during the unpaid leave? We have 22 employees and aren’t required to comply with. — W.F., Arizona
A. If you are not covered by the FMLA, no federal law would require you to continue premium subsidies during an employee’s leave. However, you should also check the applicable state law on this issue.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Employee calling in 'sick' doesn't automatically trigger your FMLA obligations
- Caregiver leave: Was this firing disability discrimination?
- Good records are key to winning retaliation lawsuits
- Download the new FMLA poster, certification forms