A new way to measure available workers may have been created accidentally in Tampa.
In what may become the hot dog index, a job fair for construction workers turned out to be so popular that the organizers had to rush out to buy many more hot dogs after job-seekers quickly wolfed down the 2,000 originally purchased for the event.
The job fair was designed to identify applicants to work with ZMG Construction of Longwood, which is hiring workers for Encore, a $458 million urban renewal project near downtown Tampa. Organizers say 4,700 applicants showed up.
- Top 5 résumé terms that make you wince
- New tax law delivers savings--and benefits changes--that affect HR
- Firing harasser is necessary, even if long-ago age comment could spark lawsuit
- EEOC sues Mesaba Airlines over Sabbath rules
- Gather essential hiring records: Interviewers should take notes, HR should collect them