A new way to measure available workers may have been created accidentally in Tampa.
In what may become the hot dog index, a job fair for construction workers turned out to be so popular that the organizers had to rush out to buy many more hot dogs after job-seekers quickly wolfed down the 2,000 originally purchased for the event.
The job fair was designed to identify applicants to work with ZMG Construction of Longwood, which is hiring workers for Encore, a $458 million urban renewal project near downtown Tampa. Organizers say 4,700 applicants showed up.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Drug testing down, electronic monitoring up at big U.S. firms
- Stable employment history is a legitimate hiring criterion
- Earn tax credits for hiring workers from rural counties
- No individual liability under Texas Whistleblower Act or Labor Code