According to a group of black ministers, Greensboro Police Department Capt. Charles Cherry is being punished for helping black officers file race discrimination complaints.
The city placed Cherry on administrative leave on June 7 pending a psychological assessment. Neither Cherry nor the city is discussing the matter, but a pastoral group called the Pulpit Forum held a news conference expressing its support for Cherry, who is black.
The pastors produced an e-mail Cherry wrote to several officers in which he stated that he is “not quite sure what the issue is with preparing the grievances,” but that he “had not violated any city policies or departmental directives.” Cherry admits in the e-mail that he was told he “should not be writing grievances for the officers.”
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Only interviewing a few candidates? Note why you skipped some applications
- No need to get employees' OK before misconduct investigations
- Stop 'equal opportunity harasser' even if law doesn't cover you
- Disabled or not? Diagnosis and symptoms are just part of the analysis