When hiring people who tout themselves as Microsoft Word “experts,” here’s a way to see if they really know how to use the software: Ask them to send the résumé in Word format, then simply click the Show/Hide button.
It can reveal telltale signs of rookie moves: repeated spaces (where there should be tabs or indents), hard line breaks (instead of automatic wrapping) and a faux header instead of a real one.
See an example at the “Office Tech Pro” blog.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- 3 reasons to drop the curtain on your office prima donnas
- HR lessons learned the hard way: Don't blindly trust your FMLA software
- Are there special California rules that dictate how we use employment applications?
- How to cope with a seriously ill employee