Randy Pausch, the Carnegie Mellon University professor who died of cancer in 2008 at age 47, earned a devout following after delivering his “last lecture” in 2007. He later gave another lecture, this one specifically about time management.
A few of his simple, yet powerful tips:
1. Stand while on the phone. You’ll finish the call more quickly.
2. Avoid copying five people on an e-mail when you want something done. Each will assume that one of the other four is going to do it.
3. Minimize interruptions. Turn off the “ping” alerting you to new e-mail, or better yet, shut down e-mail during your good working hours.
4. Do the “ugliest” thing first. Everything else will seem easier.
5. Make time for the important things, not just for time-sensitive matters. Otherwise, you will spend all your time fighting fires rather than coming up with creative, new ideas.
6. Recognize that the best reason to save time in your work is to increase time with your family.
“You can always make more money later,” Pausch often said. “But you can’t make more time.”
Don't forget to be alert for "quality moments" when you're having exceptionally valuable experiences. Some examples:
- An expert is giving you ideas or insights that could change your life.
- You're suddenly applying your skills in exciting and progressive ways.
- You're being recognized for an exceptional contribution or idea.
- You realize you've arrived in a place where you can learn significant things.
With an attention to these excpetions, you can capitalize on those rare moments when you can make progress quickly.
Even the smallest interruption can disrupt your whole schedule. We’ll show you how to minimize and avoid interruptions, and even work them into your schedule. We’ll also give you tips on delegating, organizing, prioritizing and avoiding procrastination. You’ll be prepared for whatever comes your way.
Managing your time takes discipline, but the rewards are immeasurable. With How to Get Twice as Much Done in Half as Much Time, you’ll not only spend fewer hours in the office, but also be more productive and satisfied than you ever dreamed possible. How to Get Twice as Much Done in Half as Much Time
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/12191/you-cant-make-more-time-use-it-wisely "