Overtime pay. Discrimination.. Harassment ...
Federal employment laws govern all of these issues – and many more – that you deal with at some point in your career. It's important for supervisors and managers to know the basics of how to comply with those laws.
[Editor's note: When it comes to the Overtime ] : 6 compliance tips to avoid , wage-and-hour Labor audits and mistakes!, start here:
Here's a list of the top 10 most important federal employment laws:
1. Job discrimination. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits you from discriminating in hiring, firing or pay based on a person's race, religion, sex or national origin. It also prohibits sexual harassment.
Action: Treat all employees and applicants equally, without regard to their race, religion, gender or any other characteristics not related to job performance. Demand the same fr...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Government employers: Slipshod investigation can sink defense in cases involving free speech
- Cutting health care costs: The 3-legged stool
- Judge Upholds 'Guns-at-Work' Law; Companies Duck and Cover
- Starting over as an entrepreneur? Incorporation may be right for you