Employers that give confusing directions on how employees should apply formay end up facing litigation.
Make sure your entire staff is on the same page when it comes to responding torequests. Decide on a contact person and set a policy that lets all employees know. Create a log for recording all incoming FMLA communications. Remember, certifications may come directly from medical providers, who are likely to use fax or mail delivery.
Recent case: Jacquelyn Cooper worked for Gulfcoast Jewish Family Services as a mental health therapist for about four years. Then she was promoted to director of elder behavioral health, a position she apparently found stressful. She began experiencing what she called severe anxiety.
Cooper sent an e-mail to both the HR administrator and the HR director, requesting a meeting to discuss problems she was having with her direct supervisor. Her message also informed them she wouldn...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 14 Tips on Business Etiquette
- Train interviewers to not comment on employees' promotion chances
- When worker may have broken rules, conduct independent investigation to confirm suspicions
- Best practices for preventing FMLA abuse
- Tell managers: No comments on family planning