Employers and their lawyers often favor mandatory arbitration of employment claims for two reasons: It’s a cost-effective alternative to court, and it’s an insurance policy against runaway jury verdicts. Arbitration, however, can often prove just as costly as court. Thus, while many employers continue to favor arbitration to limit their potential exposure in front of a jury, others have begun to consider alternatives.
- Invest a little in harassment training upfront to avoid sky-high litigation costs later
- Federal employment law spotlight: FLSA, OSHA, wage discrimination
- Your workplace: Is it ready for an emergency?
- Employees, IRS challenge FedEx's driver classifications
- New study turns up heat on child labor compliance