You’re leaving for vacation, so you dutifully set up the classic “Out of the office, will reply to your message when I get back” e-mail auto-responder.
But the auto-reply message doesn’t get rid of the nagging feeling that you’re missing something. You may find yourself checking your smartphone regularly for “important” e-mails anyway.
Before you go on vacation, set up a custom auto-reply system that will make it easier for you to relax.
Make Outlook do all the work! Go beyond e-mail to e-fficiency with this handheld guide...
1. First, consider setting a different date than your actual return. The standard auto-reply message is: “I’m out of the office and will get back to you when I return to the office on April 5. If this is an emergency, contact John Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.”
If you use this standard message, you’re promising to get back to people on the day you return from vacation, when you’ll probably be too swamped to read and answer all your e-mail.
Tip: Either announce that you will respond the following day—April 6—or schedule time to process e-mail while you’re traveling back from vacation or resettling at home. It’s not exactly “lying.” You’re simply giving people a realistic estimate of your response time.
2. The second problem: You’re rerouting emergencies to a co-worker, who may or may not know how to handle the message. People who know you well enough—and who have access to your cell phone number—may attempt to call you.
One solution to the problem is an online tool called AwayFind.com. It sets up a simple emergency contact form, where anyone can type a short message that you receive via text message.
Microsoft Outlook: Beyond E-mail to E-fficiency will show you ways to use Outlook that you never knew were possible. Learn more...
In your auto-response, you’d write this message: “If your message is urgent, contact John Smith at ___ or contact me through this link: awayfind.com/janesmith.”
Senders are taken to a form that says something like, “Hi, I’m not checking e-mail as usual today. But if you absolutely must reach me right away, you can do so using this form. Please be as detailed as possible, and I’ll do my best to get back to you via phone or e-mail. Thanks!”
Why it works: Most e-mailers who don’t need you right away won’t go through the trouble of filling out the AwayFind form, but those who do will. You can rest easy knowing that anything urgent is being handled.
Because the sender’s message must stay within a 215-character limit, and since you can opt to simply forward it, you won’t be stuck handling something that didn’t really warrant your attention.
3. Customize your auto-reply Rule. Microsoft Outlook’s Rules feature also lets you configure smarter auto-responders that can send you a text message if the boss or a VIP e-mails you.
You can even set up a VIP list of people you want to receive a special auto-response message, versus a more general one for people not on the list.
— Adapted from “The Art of the E-Mail Auto-Responder Message (I’m Away From the Office Until ...),” Gina Trapani, Fast Company.
Outlook Executive Summary
We've taken our wildly popular training webinar on Microsoft® Outlook® and created a concise, colorful Executive Summary.
The Outlook Executive Summary doesn't just tell you how to access all of Outlook's helpful tricks — it shows you. This handheld guide contains screen caps, so you can really see each step.
Microsoft Outlook: Beyond E-mail to E-fficiency provides insight and guidance straight from a Certified Microsoft® Trainer. It also includes a Q & A session between the trainer and attendees — answers to questions from people who want to maximize all the ways to use Outlook.Get your copy today!
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Tip Card: Business Management Daily's Favorite Keyboard Shortcuts
- Vanguard settles Charlotte race bias case for $300,000
- Want to catch harassment? Go looking for it
- In discrimination cases, don't bet on Round 1 knockout
- Make sure everyone knows to process legal docs ASAP