As we told you last month, the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and many state agencies are cracking down on employers that illegally fail to pay their interns.
Interns must be paid at least the minimum wage unless the program meets six learner/trainee criteria.
Now the DOL has published “Fact Sheet #71: Internship Programs Under The Fair Labor Standards Act” that helps clarify employers’ obligations. Read more and find a link to the fact sheet at www.theHRSpecialist.com/intern.
- Hiring independent contractor? Be prepared to document that he's not an employee
- Restaurant in Wayne accused of labor and wage violations
- Employees, IRS challenge FedEx's driver classifications
- Commuting injury not covered by workers' compensation unless the route is hazardous
- Workers' comp may cover injury that occurs on vacation