As we told you last month, the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and many state agencies are cracking down on employers that illegally fail to pay their interns.
Interns must be paid at least the minimum wage unless the program meets six learner/trainee criteria.
Now the DOL has published “Fact Sheet #71: Internship Programs Under The Fair Labor Standards Act” that helps clarify employers’ obligations. Read more and find a link to the fact sheet at www.theHRSpecialist.com/intern.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- In the wake of the recession, where wages grew the most
- Variable pay strategy: Teach workers to 'manage the boss'
- Beware schedule changes that lower pay! They could trigger discrimination lawsuits
- Texas high court rejects employer liability for worker conduct