As we told you last month, the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and many state agencies are cracking down on employers that illegally fail to pay their interns.
Interns must be paid at least the minimum wage unless the program meets six learner/trainee criteria.
Now the DOL has published “Fact Sheet #71: Internship Programs Under The Fair Labor Standards Act” that helps clarify employers’ obligations. Read more and find a link to the fact sheet at www.theHRSpecialist.com/intern.
- Sonoma McDonald's to pay over $1 million to end wage case
- Using Independent Contractors? Here's how to make the call
- Small businesses: Benchmark your employee benefits
- Unused leave takes a bite out of municipal budgets
- Think twice before challenging unemployment--former worker may well qualify for benefits