As we told you last month, the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and many state agencies are cracking down on employers that illegally fail to pay their interns.
Interns must be paid at least the minimum wage unless the program meets six learner/trainee criteria.
Now the DOL has published “Fact Sheet #71: Internship Programs Under The Fair Labor Standards Act” that helps clarify employers’ obligations. Read more and find a link to the fact sheet at www.theHRSpecialist.com/intern.
- Pay for voluntary training during lunch?
- Making paycheck deductions in New York is dangerous business
- Can we give higher pay to employee with degree?
- Prompt wage payment required—Including actually having money in the bank
- Can we legally give extra vacation time to certain workers; and must we pay for unused days?