Issue: Performing an HR department audit to gauge your organization's compliance and lawsuit risks.
Benefit: Head off legal action, streamline your HR processes and earn kudos from the boss for your big-picture thinking.
Action: Launch the audit using the tips below, then meet with your CEO to discuss suggested changes.
If you're buried under I-9s, W-4s, rÈsumÈs and benefit forms, it's hard to see the HR forest through all those trees. Successfully handling such daily HR tasks may earn you a gold star as a competent HR professional, but it won't help you advance as a strategic member of the executive team.
Advice: Start playing offense, not just defense. Conduct a pre-emptive HR audit to spot potential problems and put out potential legal fires before they flare up.
Then, promote your findings (and related suggestions) as a business strategy to save your organization money and retain its resources. Such b...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Feedback: Are your troops malnourished?
- Use job skills test before hiring to make sure applicant is qualified
- Costs rise as workers skimp on health care
- Owners: Start hoarding retirement plan funds