Here’s a thought. Actually, here’s a dare fromblogger Mike Figliuolo.
Send this list to your employees. Tell them to circle any that apply to you. Take the top two and fix them.
10. You don’t prioritize. Everything is important and the result is chaos. Fix: Assign high, medium or low priority to every task.
9. You treat them like employees. You know nothing about them as human beings. Fix: Learn something about them and surprise them.
8. You won’t fight for them. When was the last time you went to bat for an employee where you had something to lose? Fix: Get them that raise or new project.
7. You are a workaholic. Fix: Learn how to do “delayed send” in e-mail so your messages won’t go out until Monday morning.
6. You never relax. We can’t print what Mike said, but even workaholics occasionally hang out and relax with the crew. Fix: Laugh or play some games around the work site. People do better when they relax.
5. You micromanage. You don’t trust your team to make decisions. Fix: Back off. Pick a few low-risk projects and commit to not doing anything on them.
4. You’re a brown-noser. If the CEO stopped short while walking down the hall, you’d break a bone. Fix: Argue with your boss and cater to your people.
3. You treat employees like mushrooms. In the dark and fed nothing. Fix: Run an open-book shop.
2. You don’t get your hands dirty. Shame on you. Fix: Pick up the slack.
1. You’re indecisive. Maybe. We’ll see. I don’t know. You drive them crazy with your dithering. Fix: Decide.
— Adapted from “10 Reasons Your Team Hates You (They Just Won’t Say It To Your Face),” Mike Figliuolo, ThoughtLeaders, http://thoughtleadersllc.blogspot.com.