Issue: Web-basedfor small businesses offer more features than ever, and at better prices.
Benefit: Save HR time and cut your administrative costs.
Action: Look into the vendors cited below, but ask the right questions so you don't "overbuy" or "underbuy" for your needs.
Many Web-basedservices for small businesses now include HR features. Examples:
- Paychoice offers a
- Paychex Online also handles workers' compensation and 401(k) plans. Go to www.paychex.com/owners/onetofortynine.html.
- ADP also combines its payroll and HR products as part of Business One, a small business accounting and sales service offered online by SAP America. Find details at www.sap.com/solutions/ smb/businessone.
Before buying, find out if the service works for your firm by asking vendors:
1. How detailed is the payroll report that the service generates? Can you view the data by each individual employee?
2. How is the service updated to keep current with changing laws and regulations?
3. How can the service handle payroll for a changing combination of full-time, part-time and temporary employees?
4. What provisions do you make for data backup?
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Small Business Tax Deduction Strategies
- Questions and answers about H1N1 flu and wage-and-hour laws
- Lost in MySpace: Know the law before searching web for applicant info
- Keep news of discrimination claim quiet to prevent retaliation
- Reading personal mail at work