If you often think to yourself at work, “Whoa, I didn’t see that one coming,” then it’s time to take steps to stay in the loop and learn about things in advance. Tips from Careerealism.com:
1. Maintain a strong relationship with your boss. Ask questions and be alert for signals.
2. Expand your “coverage” within the company by having lunch occasionally with colleagues.
3. Set up a “Google Alert” for your company name. You can have those alerts routed to your e-mail box.
4. Stay in touch with people who have left the company.
5. Read all information published by your company—newsletters, annual reports and press releases.
6. Be alert when “outsiders” visit the company, particularly if they spend time with theteam.
- When employee returns from FMLA leave, ensure position is truly equivalent to former job
- Use these 8 criteria for choosing an outsourcing consultant
- Safeguarding your office files
- Raceway Petroleum to pay $4 million in back wages
- Supreme Court follows Ledbetter logic in AT&T pregnancy discrimination case