Q. Ouroffers paid leave for female employees who plan to return to work after the birth of the child. If the employee quits before returning to work, she’s required to reimburse the company for the paid leave. Is this lawful?
A. Since there is no requirement to offer paidin Pennsylvania, you have flexibility in determining how to structure that benefit, as long as women on maternity leave are not treated differently than employees on other types of leave.
Nonetheless, consider the employee morale implications of this policy and the potential impact on recruiting of women. Note that, as a practical matter, it may be difficult to get the money back from the employee..
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Interview the hiring manager before the candidates
- Management company pays big for pregnancy discrimination
- Applicants gone wild: Top 10 blunders by interviewees
- 2 tactics to prevent needless litigation: Online applications and blind screening