The HR pros at Columbia, Md.-based database marketing company Merkle have a recruiting slogan: “It’s not rocket science: Treat your employees well and they’ll return the favor.”
To that end, the 1,100-employee firm offers “dream grants” to employees, which pay for individuals or groups of colleagues to take an adventure. Past recipients have climbed Mount Everest and gone dog sledding, for instance. One group wins a grant each quarter.
For the rest of the staff, the organization reimburses 100% of tuition, rewards employees who refer new hires with up to $5,000 and pays most of the health insurance premiums.
One high performer is picked to ride in style each year, winning free use of a new BMW.
And everyone can enjoy their breaks on patios and in lounges that feature plasma TVs, free coffee and sodas and foosball tables.
Contact: Rachel Hunt at (240) 686-1000.
- Stop parenting employees; seek and train for 'soft skills'
- Have a no-fault attendance policy? Beware the FMLA liability trap
- Learn from the 'best': Tips from top small companies
- Unsure about your accommodations obligations? Find out fast--or risk personal liability
- Immigrant status counts in failure-to-hire cases