The HR pros at Columbia, Md.-based database marketing company Merkle have a recruiting slogan: “It’s not rocket science: Treat your employees well and they’ll return the favor.”
To that end, the 1,100-employee firm offers “dream grants” to employees, which pay for individuals or groups of colleagues to take an adventure. Past recipients have climbed Mount Everest and gone dog sledding, for instance. One group wins a grant each quarter.
For the rest of the staff, the organization reimburses 100% of tuition, rewards employees who refer new hires with up to $5,000 and pays most of the health insurance premiums.
One high performer is picked to ride in style each year, winning free use of a new BMW.
And everyone can enjoy their breaks on patios and in lounges that feature plasma TVs, free coffee and sodas and foosball tables.
Contact: Rachel Hunt at (240) 686-1000.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Tenure in the 21st century: Employees are staying put
- Leadership lesson: Why lead when you can slink away?
- To cut turnover, give applicants a realistic view of job
- Prevent fail-to-hire suits by stripping protected characteristics from résumés