Q. Is it legal to requireemployees to give us a longer resignation period than other employees?
A. You can certainly ask management employees to provide a longer notice of resignation. However, it’s difficult to enforce that requirement.
Some companies make termination benefits (such as severance pay) or payout of accrued vacation contingent on employees providing the requisite notice. This may be a viable option depending on state law and your company’s policies.
- How to tactfully handle 'Hire my relative' pleas
- Give managers a refresher on retaliation risks
- Warn managers: Even years later, acting against whistle-blower can be retaliation
- Can you fire over Facebook? NLRB rules posts are protected
- Walt Disney World dilemma spotlights religious discrimination issues