Experts say this means employers that make a mistake regarding independent contractor status or FLSA overtime exemption status could face a “wage theft” claim.
A Florida union leader called the new law “momentous,” saying it “hopefully will encourage groups all over the country to establish similar mechanisms for workers in their communities.” San Francisco has a wage-theft law covering the city, and Los Angeles and New Orleans are also considering such legislation.
- PowerPoint advanced: Solving Slide Master mysteries
- Act fast to remove supervisors who make racist comments
- Orland Park janitorial company faces discrimination charges
- Dump the slump: 14 ways to energize staff
- Background Check Guidelines: How to comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act and avoid lawsuits