Q. We may soon terminate an employee whose daughter also works here. We're uncomfortable with her daughter remaining as an employee. Can we legally terminate the daughter, as well? —R.M., Missouri
A. Nothing in your question leads us to conclude that terminating the “mother/daughter team” would violate federal law, as long as they are “at-will” employees and have no employment agreement.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Will I get into trouble for withholding final paychecks from soon-to-be-former employees?
- Any stereotypes of workers--even positive ones--can spark discrimination lawsuits
- Insubordination: The most legit reason to fire
- 3 reasons to drop the curtain on your office prima donnas