Q. We may soon terminate an employee whose daughter also works here. We're uncomfortable with her daughter remaining as an employee. Can we legally terminate the daughter, as well? —R.M., Missouri
A. Nothing in your question leads us to conclude that terminating the “mother/daughter team” would violate federal law, as long as they are “at-will” employees and have no employment agreement.
- Title VII's silence on gay bias doesn't give OK to discriminate
- Workers at smallest firms using 'public policy' loophole to file suits
- Quiz: How well do you know discipline do's and don'ts?
- Patience, careful documentation pay off when disciplining underperforming employees
- Prepare to make clear-cut case before firing public employee working on contract