Q. We may soon terminate an employee whose daughter also works here. We're uncomfortable with her daughter remaining as an employee. Can we legally terminate the daughter, as well? —R.M., Missouri
A. Nothing in your question leads us to conclude that terminating the “mother/daughter team” would violate federal law, as long as they are “at-will” employees and have no employment agreement.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Fire offender to decouple discrimination, employment action
- Policy calls for firing after leave is exhausted? Make sure you apply it consistently
- Don't let managers hire or fire based on family health costs
- Pregnant employees: Where can you draw the line?