Q. We may soon terminate an employee whose daughter also works here. We're uncomfortable with her daughter remaining as an employee. Can we legally terminate the daughter, as well? —R.M., Missouri
A. Nothing in your question leads us to conclude that terminating the “mother/daughter team” would violate federal law, as long as they are “at-will” employees and have no employment agreement.
- Snuff out gossip about firings; don't forward damaging e-mail
- Nonunion worker's pay complaint is protected activity under NLRA
- Review I-9s, even if Wal-Mart raid doesn't signify crackdown
- OK to fire worker who has taken FMLA leave--but you had better be prepared to explain why
- NYC guidance counselor fired over old lingerie photos