Q. We may soon terminate an employee whose daughter also works here. We're uncomfortable with her daughter remaining as an employee. Can we legally terminate the daughter, as well? —R.M., Missouri
A. Nothing in your question leads us to conclude that terminating the “mother/daughter team” would violate federal law, as long as they are “at-will” employees and have no employment agreement.
- Make termination decisions stick by documenting discipline at the time it occurs
- 2 workers broke same rule? Explain different punishments
- Design smoker surcharges to cut costs, preserve morale
- Cut your retaliation risk: Make sure training is open to everyone who's eligible
- OK to fire everyone, then ask them to reapply