Q. We may soon terminate an employee whose daughter also works here. We're uncomfortable with her daughter remaining as an employee. Can we legally terminate the daughter, as well? —R.M., Missouri
A. Nothing in your question leads us to conclude that terminating the “mother/daughter team” would violate federal law, as long as they are “at-will” employees and have no employment agreement.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Never mind, just a little $100 million misunderstanding
- Questioning employees? Avoid 'imprisonment' charge by ensuring they know they may leave
- After firing, can you erase a worker's phone?
- Exempt employee does some hourly work? Here's how to preserve exempt classification