Q. Under our
A. Employers aren’t required to maintain a progressive discipline policy. Illinois is an at-will employment state, meaning both you and the employee may end the employment relationship, at any time, with or without cause.
Therefore, to the extent you have a progressive discipline policy, the policy should clarify that employment remains at all times at-will and that certain types of misconduct may justify immediate termination without going through any progressive discipline steps.
- Manager's guide: 8 tips for setting realistic goals for employees
- You Shouldn't Tie FMLA Leave to Workers' Evaluation Date
- Discovered performance problems while worker was on FMLA leave? You can fire him
- Performance reviews: 12 pitfalls to avoid
- Use performance evaluations to pinpoint problems—And follow up