Q. Under our
A. Employers aren’t required to maintain a progressive discipline policy. Illinois is an at-will employment state, meaning both you and the employee may end the employment relationship, at any time, with or without cause.
Therefore, to the extent you have a progressive discipline policy, the policy should clarify that employment remains at all times at-will and that certain types of misconduct may justify immediate termination without going through any progressive discipline steps.
- Use progressive discipline—or prepare to pay unemployment even if conduct was outrageous
- Discrimination claims harder for employees to make if bias is ancient history
- NYSHRL allows individual liability claims for 'Conspiracy to retaliate'
- Follow 4 keys to legally manage employee absenteeism
- Don't 'get tough' on certain staff; tie punishment to crime