Q. Under our
A. Employers aren’t required to maintain a progressive discipline policy. Illinois is an at-will employment state, meaning both you and the employee may end the employment relationship, at any time, with or without cause.
Therefore, to the extent you have a progressive discipline policy, the policy should clarify that employment remains at all times at-will and that certain types of misconduct may justify immediate termination without going through any progressive discipline steps.
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Have a progressive discipline system? Beware giving more leeway to younger employees
- HR CSI: How to conduct a post-mortem of a legal claim
- Creating a drug-free workplace: How to draft a policy, conduct legal tests
- Paper evaluations? Switch to software to limit subjectivity