Q. Under our
A. Employers aren’t required to maintain a progressive discipline policy. Illinois is an at-will employment state, meaning both you and the employee may end the employment relationship, at any time, with or without cause.
Therefore, to the extent you have a progressive discipline policy, the policy should clarify that employment remains at all times at-will and that certain types of misconduct may justify immediate termination without going through any progressive discipline steps.
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Offer alternatives to reporting discrimination straight up the 'chain of command'
- FMLA? What's FMLA? ... Do Your Leaders Know their Employment-Law Basics?
- 9 ways to cut costs with strategic work/life & flex benefits
- Your 'so-so' employee is on leave; can you keep his replacement?