Here’s something to consider if you’re pondering a pretrial settlement: A judge’s race and gender can make a huge difference in the outcome of cases they hear, say two studies featured at a recent American Bar Association conference.
One study said employees lost their race harassment lawsuits just 54% of the time when an African-American judge handled the case. But employee loss rates were much higher with cases handled by white judges (79%), Hispanic judges (81%) and Asian-American judges (67%).
The other study said employees were twice as likely to win sexual harassment cases if a female judge was part of an appellate panel.
Read the full story at www.theHRSpecialist.com/blindjustice.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Accommodate workers' eating needs when it's medically necessary
- When employee's religion conflicts with duties, explore reasonable accommodations
- Hiring summer interns? Keep it legal, dude
- Suit claims Chivas USA illegally fired non-Latino coaches