Here’s something to consider if you’re pondering a pretrial settlement: A judge’s race and gender can make a huge difference in the outcome of cases they hear, say two studies featured at a recent American Bar Association conference.
One study said employees lost their race harassment lawsuits just 54% of the time when an African-American judge handled the case. But employee loss rates were much higher with cases handled by white judges (79%), Hispanic judges (81%) and Asian-American judges (67%).
The other study said employees were twice as likely to win sexual harassment cases if a female judge was part of an appellate panel.
Read the full story at www.theHRSpecialist.com/blindjustice.
- Required: Investigating all harassment complaints Not required: Providing a perfect workplace
- You can put your seniority system ahead of ADA accommodation
- You don't have to make perfect decisions—Just honest ones
- Charlotte company learns the hard way: You will pay for bias
- Being sole minority employee doesn't mean special protection