Here’s something to consider if you’re pondering a pretrial settlement: A judge’s race and gender can make a huge difference in the outcome of cases they hear, say two studies featured at a recent American Bar Association conference.
One study said employees lost their race harassment lawsuits just 54% of the time when an African-American judge handled the case. But employee loss rates were much higher with cases handled by white judges (79%), Hispanic judges (81%) and Asian-American judges (67%).
The other study said employees were twice as likely to win sexual harassment cases if a female judge was part of an appellate panel.
Read the full story at www.theHRSpecialist.com/blindjustice.
- J.C. Penney to pay $50,000 to end race discrimination case
- Beat discrimination lawsuits by nailing down specific rationale for employment decisions
- Erratic attendance can disqualify employee from ADA protection
- Civility helps prevent a hostile environment, but you don't need to sweat the small stuff
- Check bankruptcy records when employees sue