One of The Scooter Store’s six core ideologies, along with “focus on the customer” and “achieve financial success,” is “have fun.”
To that end, the New Braunfels, Texas-based supplier of scooters and power chairs employs a VP of Celebration and schedules dozens of celebrations every year. Some are as elaborate as an all-employee cruise for the organization’s 15th anniversary and a gala to recognize employee contributions. Others are as simple as recognizing employee birthdays and anniversaries.
“Companies can provide a pleasant workplace for employees, yet still accomplish the business objectives of the company,” says founder and CEO Doug Harrison.
Harrison says providing employees with a pleasant workplace makes them more committed to doing their jobs well.
The 18-year-old chain has more than 2,000 employees, who own 40% of the company through an employee stock ownership plan.
Contact: Mark Leita, senior director of government relations, at (830) 627-4717.
Tip: Read more about employee 12 Ways to Optimize Your Employee Benefits Program.programs in our free report,
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Be patient and keep thorough records to make sure your firing decisions stick
- Internal moves: Not as easy as they look
- Do you need that corner office?
- With flu season approaching, can we force employees to stay home from work?