One of The Scooter Store’s six core ideologies, along with “focus on the customer” and “achieve financial success,” is “have fun.”
To that end, the New Braunfels, Texas-based supplier of scooters and power chairs employs a VP of Celebration and schedules dozens of celebrations every year. Some are as elaborate as an all-employee cruise for the organization’s 15th anniversary and a gala to recognize employee contributions. Others are as simple as recognizing employee birthdays and anniversaries.
“Companies can provide a pleasant workplace for employees, yet still accomplish the business objectives of the company,” says founder and CEO Doug Harrison.
Harrison says providing employees with a pleasant workplace makes them more committed to doing their jobs well.
The 18-year-old chain has more than 2,000 employees, who own 40% of the company through an employee stock ownership plan.
Contact: Mark Leita, senior director of government relations, at (830) 627-4717.
Tip: Read more about employee 12 Ways to Optimize Your Employee Benefits Program.programs in our free report,
- Evenly enforce policy prohibiting employee fraternization
- Boring Benefits? Perk 'Em Up With 10 Real-Life Solutions
- Post all job openings to head off bias suits
- Self-administered benefits plan? Make sure your records are impeccable
- Remind management: Don't consider temporary medical problems when making layoff decisions