President Obama’s 2011 budget plan calls for the U.S. Department of Labor to hire 100 new enforcement personnel and gain $25 million in new funding to target employers that misclassify workers as independent contractors (ICs).
This comes on the heels of a huge IRS audit program starting last month that randomly selects 6,000 employers for audits over IC and other employment tax issues.
For tips on making the employee or independent contractor call, go to www.theHRSpecialist.com/contractor.
- Georgia 'Donning and doffing' case headed to high court?
- Pennsylvania wage & hour law: Understand the new rules for 2007
- Check your pay rates! Obvious male/female disparity is probably 'willful' discrimination
- Victoria's Secret employees claim online campaign victory
- Health benefit safe harbors put Payroll in the driver's seat