President Obama’s 2011 budget plan calls for the U.S. Department of Labor to hire 100 new enforcement personnel and gain $25 million in new funding to target employers that misclassify workers as independent contractors (ICs).
This comes on the heels of a huge IRS audit program starting last month that randomly selects 6,000 employers for audits over IC and other employment tax issues.
For tips on making the employee or independent contractor call, go to www.theHRSpecialist.com/contractor.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Absence alone isn't grounds to deny unemployment comp
- What's the hourly rate for family member caring for employee out on workers' comp?
- No tax difference in fee to foreign source
- Can we offer pizza instead of pay when employees must work through lunch?